Saturday, 3 November 2012

Reading in an Online Environment


Reading in the Online Environment

How do you read in a Web 2.0 world?

            If I need to know the answer to something, I Google it. This gives me an idea about what I want to know about a topic. However, I am aware that online  information is not always peer reviewed, so I look for edu, gov. suffixes. For example, typing in “earliest dinosaur” will yield over two million results. The first result is Wikipedia. Wikipedia has one answer; then, I clicked on the second result—what do you know—a different answer. I clicked on a few more results and I got a different answer each time. However, I tend to trust an edu answer because I know that educational institutes research their work. Databases also offer more trusted information, but databases are also considered traditional information. The beauty of reading in a Web 2.0 world about any topic is that the information is linked, which can lead a person in many directions anywhere in the world. Since I have started this course, I would check out a variety of other places for information, such as Twitter, Delicious, Diigo, professionals, etc. The list goes on and on.
            The Web 2.0 also helps me stay in contact with family and friends. I check my email accounts and Facebook accounts to stay up-to-date with family events. Family and friends post pictures, which can be viewed in a matter of seconds. I text on a regular basis with my family and friends. Just recently, my sister and I planned a trip to Mexico for the December break all through texting. My airline tickets were sent through email. I bank online. My newspaper is emailed directly to me online; I skim over certain sections or scan what I want to read. Advertisements and sales are sent through email. Reading in a Web 2.0 gives a greater amount of information available through a variety of resources at my fingertips. I may choose to read it, save it, bookmark it, ignore it, or delete it.

Is reading online different from reading traditional print texts?    

Reading online is very different from reading traditional print texts because online reading is interactive, collaborative, reflective, and instant. While readers may interact or collaborate face-to-face with print material, readers of online texts may collaborate, actively participate, and interact with a much wider audience—worldwide. Although many books have pictures, charts, and text, most are usually read in a linear fashion usually about one topic while an online screen may contain pictures and charts, it also contains links which the reader may click on; thus, reading may be in a non-linear fashion. Reading on a screen is more visual, “interactive” (Kelly, 2010). According to Kelly (2010), “[r]eading becomes almost athletic” meaning that you cannot “read without moving your body.” Reading online takes a person in many directions because “everything is linked to everything else” (Kelly, 2010). I find that one can click links forever, so sometimes it is important to remember the original task at hand. Books go through a reviewed and editing process; however, a lot of online material is not reviewed by professionals and is unedited. Possibly one complaint of an overwhelming amount of information at the click of a finger is that a lot of information is not researched enough or reviewed by experts in the field; however, most people have an opinion or feel they can correct misinformation. Just look at Wikipedia as an example. Mistakes are corrected “in a single click” (Kelly, 2010). There is usually a message at the top of a Wikipedia page mentioning the fact that the material must be referenced if proper citing is not followed. While books have an index, glossary, and table of contents for finding specific information, online reading has a search or find feature which allows the reader to go directly to that section of an article. As a society that is used to instant gratification, Kelly’s (2010) last line in his article explains the biggest difference between reading a printed book and reading online: “Screens will be the first place we’ll look for answers, for friends, for news, for meaning, for our sense of who we are and who we can be.”  For example, when an earthquake hit the coast of BC recently, I Googled it and then followed Tweets on Twitter on CBS news website. It was amazing to see how the news spread so fast, almost viral. My daughter-in-law posted pictures of my grandchildren dressed for Halloween on Facebook; I received the pictures instantly. Reading online is current, is now.
While Richardson (2010) mentions in his article, “Reading as a participation sport” that he loves his IPad, and that he is ready to give up printed books altogether because they collect dust on his book shelf, I am not ready to go that far. I read for relaxing entertainment and to avoid the million (hyperbole here) distractions throughout the day. I love to get totally engrossed in a book. I do not know how many times people have said to me when they catch me crying or laughing while reading that it is only a book—fictional characters. I love to cuddle up in bed and read before I go to sleep at night. I have an e-reader, but I choose to read books. However, the e-reader will definitely come in handy when I travel because it is much lighter and I can put a few books on it. In response to Richardson’s (2010) article under comments, Dale Holt put the difference between reading a traditional print book and online material in excellent perspective. He said, “I will use any method necessary to get reluctant readers to start. We should value reading in all its forms not try to de-legitimize what will probably be the most highly used form of reading for students in the next 10years (sic).” I tried very hard to understand why a reluctant reader would choose an online book over a traditional print book. I made up a pretend scenario in my head. For example, I would ask my nine year old grandson to read a book to his six year old brother before bed. He would probably say: “No, I do not feel like it.” Then, I would tell him he could read a story on the computer. He will say: “Okay.” So, I ask myself, what is the appeal? The laptop is like a game that can be manipulated (Either that or he plays games like most other boys his age when it is time to go to bed, LOL). When reading Paul Hamilton’s comments posted after Richardson’s (2010) article, “Reading screens, writing screens, touching screens,” he answers the question about why some reluctant readers would choose reading a screen over a book. He states: “When reading from a small iPhone screen, instead of from a paper or a larger screen, my reading focus, reading rate, and retention rate all seem improved.” I feel the exact opposite, but the idea is that a variety of reading formats be available for different types of readers.

What strategies do readers need to develop in order to effectively read different kinds of texts?

Strategies that readers need to develop in order to effectively read different kinds of texts are having a purpose for reading, summarizing and paraphrasing information, using graphic organizers, making connections with what they are reading and any pictures or diagrams on the page, asking questions in order to be an active reader instead of a passive reader and also provides a focus, and identifying text structure, and most importantly, making personal connections with what they are reading. Add to these strategies the idea of collaboration and discussion, and a reader may create a whole new perspective from various points of view. A shy student in a class may feel more inclined to respond in an online environment. Readers who follow these strategies can effectively read a variety of texts.

Do you read electronic texts (online, on the computer, using an e-reader or an iPad)? What are your experiences reading these different texts?

I usually print out the material that I must read. I read with a pen in my hand and I write out questions, make comments, underline key points, and make personal connections. I do not know why, but I do not like reading on the computer. I love to read printed material. I read anything and everything. I purchased an iPad for my son (He could not buy an iPad in Tumbler Ridge), who wanted to give his girlfriend an iPad for a Christmas gift; however, I have not used one myself. She loves it. My son bought me an e-reader for my birthday, but I haven’t put a book on it yet and I have had this device for a couple of years; however, I plan to use it on my vacation. When I read online, I tend to get distracted by all the links. I find the links very interesting, but then, I do not finish what I am doing in a timely manner.

How can teacher-librarians model or promote this kind of 'new' reading to colleagues and students?

Teacher-Librarians need to purchase and model how to use many different devices for reading. For example, not only should the teacher-librarian buy a hard copy book, but he or she should also purchase books in audio format, e-reader format, and MP3format (Playaways). Ideally, the TL would buy an iPad, but realistically, this is a very expensive item in tight economic times. Promoting reading of a variety of texts can be done through the library web page, displays, and BLOGS. The TL can also use Twitter to discuss books. The TL can have “Teachers’ Favourite Reads” displays. Previously, I wrote a proposal to Raise-a-Reader for Follet Playaways and I received a very substantial grant. I purchased Playaway titles that matched our independent novel study sets. I did a presentation to the English department, the PAC, and the administration of my school. Information may be sent home in a Newsletter to parents. I used to send home information how to access databases from home and lists of new material purchased for the library. Last year, I had a contest for students who read The Hunger Games and watched the movie. I purchased five books and circulated them throughout the school without signing them out through the library. The students were to pass them on to anyone else who wanted to read the book next. The idea was to get students reading who do not normally come to the library every day and to get students discussing the book and the movie on a BLOG. However, while a lot of students read the book, not very many people commented on the BLOG. It is also important to have current up-to-date programs and equipment in the library. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to promote this ‘new’ kind of reading if it is not readily accessible.

What leadership role can/should teacher-librarians and lead teachers take in this area?

The main idea is being current and one step ahead of your colleagues and students, so that you can promote new reading strategies. It is important for the TL to be aware of new upcoming ideas, resources, and technology. The TL may make suggestions, offer to teach a lesson (and mark it), collaborate with colleagues to create innovative and authentic lessons. The TL should demonstrate through staff meetings and workshops how to BLOG, use Wikis, use Twitter, You Tube, Flickr, etc. for collaboration, and reflective lessons for student use and professional use. It is also helpful to communicate current best practices with your administration. The Learning Commons concept was demonstrated to the senior administration in our district and the next thing you know, the principals were asking the TLs how they were transforming their libraries, and then, were supported with the necessary funding. The TL must be a visible leader in the school with a focus on student learning and offering a variety of information in several different formats. Information must be available on devices that the students are using. These students must be taught how to access information responsibly and effectively.

References
Richardson, W. (2010). Reading as a participation sport. Retrieved from: http://weblogg-ed.com/2010/reading-as-a-participation-sport/
Richardson, W. (2010). Reading screens, writing screens, touching screens. Retrieved from: http://weblogg-ed.com/2010/reading-screens-writing-screens-teaching-screens/

No comments:

Post a Comment